December 18, 2008

Relgious Issues - Scholastically Speaking

We send Killian to a Christian preschool voluntarily.  I understand that.  I have no issues with doing so.  For the most part, I have no issues with many of the Christian moral teachings and will likely utilize several of them throughout his upbringing.  We send him there because it is the more affordable option for us and it comes with the bonus of educational components.

As a result of his attendance there, I make certain concessions and have certain expectations.  For example, I expect that religious practices will occur throughout the day - probably start of day prayer, grace before snack time, etc.  I make no bones about them presenting a mini sermon to us before the events such as his Christmas pageant and the like.  These are things that I deal with because it is their practice and turf.  In his time there, I do, however, have beef with two particular things that I am aware of that have occurred/been taught:

  1. The first one that I noticed was when was at home one day with me and we saw an American flag and he proceeded to say the Pledge of Allegiance.  I thought that was pretty cool and cute because I didn't know that he had learned it.  However, he then followed it up with the pledge of allegiance to the Christian flag.  Apparently this is something that happens outside of just his school, I have since learned.  I don't so much have issue with the fact that there is a pledge of allegiance to the Christian flag that exists or even to the fact that they teach it at the school for the children to say.  I do, however, have extreme opposition to it following the exact pattern of the Pledge of Allegiance to the American flag.  I believe that this takes away from the purity of the latter as well as the former.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not Captain Super Patriotic that is going to go into a tirade here about the American flag and the pledge and all that.  I just think it is wrong to muddy the waters and confuse the 4 year old children by copying the exact pacing and rhythm of the American flag Pledge of Allegiance.
  2. The more recent event was the one that I posted about on the Killian and Me blog.  In his Christmas pageant yesterday, the class sang Jesus Jingle (Bells), which is outright Jingle Bells plagiarized to death with Jesus related lyrics plugged in throughout.  Again, I have no issue with them teaching him a religious song (pick your favorite hymn, for example).  What I do have issue with is teaching the kids a bastardized version of a holiday classic such as Jingle Bells.  So now when I kick into a verse of Jingle Bells along with the radio, he can't sing along with me until I go through the effort to teach him the "correct" way that the song goes.  Fortunately, he wants to sing it "daddy's way", but it sucks that I have to make an effort to change what he has learned about such a simple and common thing.
These are probably completely acceptable things to those of more religious ilk than I, and as I voluntarily choose to send him into the midst of this education environment, I have not a lot of room to talk.  So, I don't.  That is to say that I don't in the form of parent to teacher feedback, but that is primarily because I know that it is public school for him come next year and kindergarten so I don't really have to worry about it long term.  However, even with him not exposed to it come that time, my opposition to the concept will still stand.  If you want to teach songs and pledges that communicate your chosen ideals, feel free to do so.  I have no problem with that.  However, make them your own.  Make them original.  Don't tread on favorites and classics to weasel your ideals in.

On a side note, I'm all for parody.  Keep 'em coming, Weird Al!

3 comments:

Kelley said...

i simply must suggest you track down the MP3 of Tori Amos' version of "Home on the Range," Cherokee Edition.

it will not change your concerns about what the school is doing, but it's a great example of godless heathens hijacking (rather passionately and artfully) a blindly accepted and taught "untruth" of our history.

Paul McRae said...

I shall seek it out at your suggestion.

Unknown said...

I too see much value in a lot of the teachings of pure Christianity. Many sects of Christianity throughout the centuries have successfully attracted and indoctrinated new members by co-opting things that clearly had no biblical origins. From the big (Most of our major holidays, including the impending one, were co-opted) to the little (I'm sure you've seen all the co-opted car adornments from the "re-co-opted fish" to the Calvin and star, etc.) they even manage to raise a lot of money through these ventures.

I doubt I'm saying anything you don't already know. Moreso just saying, I hear ya and I don't see it changing.