March 23, 2018

Flumonia

I've spent the past week held prisoner at home by the flu.  Suffice it to say "that sucked".  Started feeling pretty tired and crappy at work last Friday.  After work I hit the bed and was pretty much down for the night.  I had a low fever just over 100 degrees.  I didn't even join Emily and the kids for our traditional Friday night dinner out.  Saturday morning and into afternoon I felt pretty much the same.

By Saturday night I was actually feeling pretty good as if I were exiting the Friday rundown so the family went out to dinner and we watched Spider-Man: Homecoming on DVR.  Played a little bit of Rock Band 4 after that and crashed sometime after midnight.  Sunday morning was pretty much the same and I enjoyed a lunch at Wild Wing Cafe with Emily & Rich while the boys were out with other relatives.  Once home from lunch, I played about an hour of video games before I crashed hard.  The fever was back and I felt truly wiped out.  I spent the rest of the night in bed and all of Monday morning and afternoon.  I felt bad enough that I called the doctor's office Monday morning and made an appointment for 3pm.  I dragged myself out of bed and to the doctor's office where I was eventually diagnosed as testing positive for "flu type B".

Side note:  the nurse practitioner (my primary care doctor didn't have any appointments available on Monday) had a crappy bedside manner.  I'm going to officially not recommend her (private message me for name and practice if you're interested).  At one point she recommended that I pick up an inhaler that she prescribed because the flu is "putting down people of all types this time around".  Now, she *may* have been using "putting down" as a way of describing knocking them on their butt and putting them on bed rest for days, but I'm leaning toward her using it as a way of saying "killing".  Not exactly the mindset you want from a person of healing.

Once I got home, I recommitted to bed rest along with a multi-day cocktail of Tamiflu, Flonase, cough suppressant (can't remember the name) all through the rest of that day and the following.  By Wednesday, I had enough energy to work from home for about 2/3 of a work day.  On Thursday, I got through a full workday but I still felt beat up both nights after.  As of today, Friday, I'm finally feeling about 80-85% of myself and had enough energy to get through a full work day.  I'm still going to make an easy night of it but I hate that it's managed to mess with two weekends now.

Emily took good care of me while I was down and out but she's paying for it now as she started showing symptoms on Wednesday night after work. She has been crashed out since then matching my Sunday through Tuesday experience.  On top of feeling sympathy for her discomfort I feel guilty as the source of her infection.  Our common goal at this point:  do our best to prevent spread to the kids.

No comments: