April 30, 2007

News of the Inside

Yay me.  I don't have stomach cancer.  Not yet, at least.  Not that I'm trying for it, but you never know what the future will bring.

For those of you baffled completely by my first sentence, here's the story.  I went in for my every-few-years-upper-endoscopy thanks to an acid reflux issue last Wednesday.  While there was a camera down my throat and in my belly, they discovered some polyps in the upper portion of my stomach and removed about 1/2 of them, biopsied them and I just got the results back today.  So, I've been somewhat panicked over the past week that I was in for some bad news come today.  Mostly because the only time I've ever really heard the word "polyp" used was in reference to some form of cancer.  However, the biopsies came back negative and the only bad news (which is, of course, well overshadowed by the good news) is that I have to go back fairly soon to get the rest of them removed, which means another adventure of "Hey, is that a camera down your throat or are you just happy to see me?" and likely a follow-up of the same a year or two later along with every couple of years thereafter for... oh... ever.  Additional good news is that they didn't have to do any stretching while they were in there this time (ask me for details of previous events if you have no idea what I'm talking about here), so the Prevacid that I've been taking for the last 3 years seems to be doing its job well.

Woohoo!  Reason to celebrate.

No comments: