August 15, 2006

Week 2, Day 2

First, thank you to all who have offered words, thoughts and prayers of kindness throughout this ordeal so far. It's wonderful to know that I have so many caring friends and family out there.

We are wrapping up the 2nd day of the 2nd week of treatment. The first week went by fairly uneventfully. Well, at least as uneventfully as one can hope during this experience. At the end of the first week, nausea starting a bit in Bobbie and the docs say that is normal as the medication begins to accumulate in your system, but otherwise she basically just slept most of that first week and had a fever from time to time that Tylenol seemed to have knocked out on all occasions.

As of tonight, the nausea was apparently pretty bad though her fever didn't spike up too high (not above 100 degrees) so far. The medications that they gave her for nausea appear to be helping. I'm sure it would be awful without them. They have prescribed Kytril, Prochlorperazine (though oral and not rectal as the link indicates) and Ativan for nausea. The Ativan is the scary one as it is a narcotic for anxiety relief and they said to take that only in addition to the Prochlorperazine if the nausea doesn't subside. We ended up having to go to Ativan tonight, but it seems to have done the trick to get her through the most recent bout of nausea. Here's hoping that it doesn't get worse throughout the week.

Killian gave me my first "he's a boy" scare today. I got a call from the babysitter at about 3:30pm telling me that Killian, while playing with his 2-year old and 4-year old, had taken a group spill with them and started crying. Apparently he got up with a bit of a limp on his left and when trying to run would fall as a result of his left leg/ankle/foot giving way. Of course, the standard reaction to illness/injury to an immediate family member is for me to basically panic so I left work and headed over to get him. When I got there, he was sitting in a chair eating Cheerios and watching television with the other two boys. His foot/ankle *looked* to be OK (no bruising/swelling/bones sticking out) and though he appeared to be walking on it a bit gingerly, he didn't appear to be in any real pain. I did see him start to run a couple of times only to fall and start crawling, it being obvious a result of his sore foot/ankle. So, to give myself some peace of mind, I took him in to see the doctor and have them give him the thumbs up. Of course, while there, he would demonstrate no symptoms and went so far as to jump around a bit just to let the doctor know that I am truly the baby between the two of us. So, she twisted his leg and foot around and gave his foot, ankle, knee and hip all the doctoral approval. So, hopefully all is well and he will be back to fully functional in no time. At the end of it all, I felt bad mostly for the babysitter. It's scary enough when your own kid hurts himself, but it's got to be a whole different level of scary when one that you are watching does so. Andy, if you're reading this, it's all good. :)

Otherwise, work is really hectic of course as it has been over the past several weeks. I am working on HP OpenView installation, configuration and training over the next few weeks which is pretty interesting but I have a million other things going on at the same time, so I'm also quite distracted from it.

Many of you ask about how I am doing and I keep writing about things going on around me instead. I am tired, but in good spirits. Between watching the little guy all of the time while Bobbie is out of it, waking up to make sure she gets her medicine on time, going in to work earlier than normal to try to make up for time missed both on my week out and trying to get out at a decent time to relieve those watching the wife & kid when I am working and the general stress of it all, I am a little worn but I will make it. The naive glee of the little guy every day wipes it all away when I see him and he exclaims whatever form of "dad" that he chooses at the time and runs over to me. And having the week to spend with both he and Bobbie even though she slept through most of it was wonderful as well. Finally, having a loving wife and knowing that this is all to improve the chances that she will be around for a long time to come tops it all off. So, overall I guess I'm not to shabby.

No comments: