June 20, 2008

Bad Netflix... Bad!

I have a scream of "not fair, not fair" to offer Netflix in reference to their decision to eliminate profiles. What this means is that subscribers can no longer divvy up their rentals among family members. In our case, we currently have it setup where we subscribe to the 3 movies out at a time plan where 2 slots are allocated to me and one to Bobbie. This means we can have separate queues, so when I send back one of my movies, they send back the next one in my queue or if Bobbie sends back her movie, they send out her next queued item rather than forcing us to share and manage a queue. Additionally, we are able to maintain independent ratings lists which offer us personalized suggestions that match our preferences. Netflix is taking this option away from subscribers which is obviously very frustrating to users like ourselves. Is it an effort to trick us into subscribing to two separate accounts? If so, it won't work for those of us watching every penny. It will only push us to other services that may implement similar features. In any case, "Arrrgh!" and "BOO!". It's a bummer to see this from a service that I have been touting the beauty of for years now.

8 comments:

odisn said...

yep...this has pissed of both the wife & me. i'm seeing lots of negative feedback everywhere i go online though, so i'm hoping it is a decision that will be reversed.

Melissa said...

That is/was a neat idea. We use Blockbuster and only have one Que -as far as i know. Bryan rarely gets on the computer or watches movies, so i am in "control" of what we rent! One thing i like about Blockbuster is that I can exchange movies at the store. I get my next movies quickly, so sometime we have 6 DVD's (3 from the store and 3 from the mail). So far i have liked them. :)

Paul McRae said...

Yeah, but Blockbuster stores re-instituted late fees as of last month.

odisn said...

regardless of the fact that there isn't one within 15 minutes of my house...i really doubt whether Paul, Bobbie, or myself could actually stomach the idea of setting foot inside of a Blockbuster again unless it was some kind of dire video emergency. ;)

Paul McRae said...

Hear, hear!

Melissa said...

I am going to assume that you all worked there??!!

Paul McRae said...

That we did. We all managed stores.

Melissa said...

Blockbuster Update - i went into our store (in VA) and asked about the new late fees. The guy said that they are only doing a trial/test run with the fees and something about all movies can be rented for a week. The "trial run" is only in certain places - NC being the first. That was a relief for me, due to the fact that i am Always late with Everything! :(