January 07, 2007

Bob Burrus

Tonight I blog of solemn news which, though somewhat rare for me, I feel that the subject is worthy.

My father-in-law, Bob Burrus, passed away late last week.

He was a man that I did not know well, having met him in person only 3 times to my memory over the 10 years that my wife and I have been together (dating and married). Thus, I do not have true knowledge to tout his positives nor to attack his negatives (not that I would on such an occasion). However, he was the father of my wife and a grandfather of my child. My experiences with him did not prove in anyway unpleasant and it is my hope that he will be remembered fondly.

As stated, I have not the knowledge to compose a true obituary for the man and will leave it to those who know him better to do so. I can tell you only that he spent his career as I know it acting on stage and would, no doubt, have held countless interesting stories that would have been told in skilled fashion. I regret that neither I nor his grandson will have an opportunity to know him so. Additionally, as a stage actor, I don't know that many, if any, of his performances were captured in recorded form for us to enjoy. To my immediate knowledge, he only did one motion picture, Tully, which we own on DVD. I hope that this isn't the only "live" version of him that we have to show our son, but that remains to be seen.

In any case, I wish him well in whatever lies beyond this mortal existence and thank him for helping to produce the wonderful woman that I have the honor to call my wife.

No comments: