January 14, 2007

Immediate Failure

Here we are 14 days into 2007 and I have already managed to fail at all of my resolutions. That may actually be a new personal record. However, I'm not going to let that discourage me. I simply pick up and re-initiate my 2007 resolutions. In fact, I'm even going to add a couple based on recent events.

6. Take a picture of my child every day. It doesn't have to necessarily be a good one every day, but I have neglected to capture much of the first 2.5 years of his life and he's growing faster by the minute it seems.

7. Spend more time with my family on average. 2006 was a crazy year both at home and work and it afforded me an opportunity to spend a little more time with Killian, but not with he and Bobbie both. The passing of her father has helped me to realize just how precious such time is.

Speaking of Bobbie, she has been trapped in Oklahoma for the past 3 days due to an ice storm. She spent the past week there trying to get her father's affairs in order and then, on the day she was to fly out, they got hit with a pretty significant winter storm and flights out have been cancelled for the past 3 days. We're hoping that she will get out of there tomorrow afternoon, but it's still iffy. In the meantime, I'm solo dad again, but thanks to grandparents and friends, it doesn't appear that I will have to miss a workday. Well, that is unless she doesn't make it home by Tuesday. If that's the case, I may have no other choice.

The biggest bummer is that I wanted for her to be home on Saturday for Killian's arrival back to Raleigh for the first time in two weeks to help raise her spirits. It has been a tough week on her and being trapped in an ice storm states away from her immediate family can't be helping much. On a somewhat humorous note to that end, Killian thinks that "Mommy is at work." It's been one heck of a shift! He is fine though. No doubt he will be thrilled to see her upon her return, but he has been reasonably distracted by his return to Raleigh and a visit with his grandmother today. Hopefully the babysitter visit tomorrow along with her 4 year-old son will help to keep him so. He has been in a really good mood and comparably easy to deal with over the past many weeks. He's at a really fun and cute stage right now. OK, enough rambling about the boy. I will throw in a picture from his most recent grandparental adventure in Virginia though seated atop his grandfather's Harley.




I also need to start capturing more video and audio of him. I'm going to miss the way he used to say things and not have anything to turn back to for listening pleasure. I still get a kick out of old recordings of myself as a kid made on reel-to-reel and cassette tapes.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

He is so big! They do grow so fast. And they can say the funniest things. Yesterday, when I told Nicole to stop talking she said "God gave me my mouth so I can talk." I was shocked (tried not to laugh) and said back "God gave me my hand so that I could spank your bottom." She did stop talking!

I am so sorry to hear of Bobbie's loss. I cannot imagine losing my dad. I cannot imagine how hard this is for her. I pray for God's comfort and peace over her.